Working with nonprofits in our community to continually improve communication and care.
Nonprofit leaders are called upon to accomplish a wide range of feats. We inspire organizations and your communities, promote positive change, and keep operations fiscally sound. Today, more than ever, there is a need for strong communication from nonprofits. Our messages need to highlight the unique good that we do and further our overall mission.
The Communication Alliance strongly believes that we benefit more as a sector from communicating in collaboration for our causes, rather than in competition with other agencies. The Communication Alliance team has firsthand experience of the challenges that nonprofit leaders face when it comes to communication and is committed to working with nonprofits to create, enhance and improve communication while working within all budgets.Our Approach
The Communication Alliance aims to improve non-profit communication, not only to strengthen individual organizations, but also to build a more caring and cohesive community.
Our approach has two parts —
First, make sense and make use of the emerging science of giving and messaging.
- Why do people give more to a sudden crisis affecting a few, and less to chronic ills that affect the many?
- Why would an emotional story bring attention to the person in the story, but not always to the issue behind the story?
- How do shocking statistics about social problems create apathy rather than moving people to action?
- Second, balance the communication focus between “asking” and “giving.” After all, both giving and receiving is at the heart of non-profit service.
- What can one give to the audience with each ask?
- How does one advocate for the need and convey respect for those in need, or advocate for caring while offering reasons for hope?
- How does one reduce the social distance and create a genuine connection between those who give and those who receive?
No single non-profit can achieve all of this alone. But together we can build an alliance of non-profits committed to the use of words, images, stories, and even statistics to serve an entire community.Our Goal
The Communication Alliance was formed to support a network of non-profit partners interested in continued capacity building around communication, sharing resources and ideas, and working together toward more consistent messaging about children’s issues.
What we offer —
- Professional development opportunities focusing on communication best practices. Opportunities will be open to existing partners as well as new non-profit organizations serving children, youth, and families.
- Additional resources and supports to help partners stay engaged and build communication capacity.
- Technical assistance to individual organizations or collaborations of organizations addressing similar issues.
- Content Analysis – We can assist in reviewing your content for tone, appropriateness, quality of images and layout.
- Content Development – Writing, editing, and proofreading services.
- Communications Strategic Planning – Review of your goals and recommendations as to which media channels would best deliver your message effectively.
- Design/Layout – Reviewing your current print/
- online materials and making suggestions for improvement, and/or design services to enhance your image/brand.
- Illustration – Offering the option of a graphic or drawing to convey your message.
- Infographics – Taking your data and presenting it
- in visually pleasing, easy-to-read graphics.
- Photography – On location photos of your work and/or your people in action.
- Promotional Items – Giveaway items printed with your logo and/or message. We can advise you on design and products.
- Signage/Displays – Posters, retractable banners, feather flags, and other large-scale signage.
- Other – Don’t see your need on this list, just ask us.